Here on Okinawa, we are not allowed to have yard sales on base. Instead, we have to sell any unwanted items at "the flea market." Every weekend each base takes turns hosting the flea market and this past weekend was ours. So, on Sunday, I set up shop at 0500!!! to sell as much as I could.
The flea market is interesting because it is something the Japanese nationals seem to thrive on. We set up everything early and the Americans can shop until 0700, but while you're shopping you see this.
Then, at the appointed hour of 0700, the gates are opened and you brace yourself to be attacked by wild people ravaging through everything looking for what they want. You would think charging 100 yen per piece would satisfy everyone, but then you have 5 people in front of you wanting to by things and haggling over the 100 yen you're charging. I wouldn't say it's my favorite to spend the day, but I did walk away with a good booty of pocket change so I can't complain.
No comments:
Post a Comment