Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Disney Cruise: Day 4, Part 1- St. Maarten

Look at what we woke up to this morning!  St. Maarten in the distance just before we docked.

IMG_6065e

The kids woke up just in time to watch over the balcony as we were pulling into port.

IMG_6075

Today we had many plans.  Grammie and Papa Doug took the kiddos to Coral World (I’ll post pics soon). While Jamie and I had the morning free before our afternoon excursion to Orient Bay.

Just after the Captain’s announcement we debarked the ship.  Isn’t she beautiful?

IMG_6081e

Since the ship docks across the bay, we had to take a water taxi into Philipsburg, the Dutch capital of St. Maarten. 

DSC01479

In town we did some exploring.  Visiting all sorts of local stores and sampling their finest beverages. : )

IMG_6083

We even caught a glimpse of a local!

IMG_6092

And couldn’t leave without being a typical tourist and posing next to the sign.

IMG_6090

Without much time to spare we made it our way back to the ship to meet for our excursion.  Sadly, it was canceled due to the threat of rain.  I was bummed that it was canceled, but I thought it spoke a lot of Disney to cancel it and refund our money before letting us sit in the ran on the beach for 3 hours.

Anyway, we made the best out of things by grabbing the kids and heading back to the beach in Philipsburg.

Lucky for us it was right next to the water taxi dock!

DSC01463

Everyone enjoyed playing in the water

DSC01462

and you couldn’t beat the view of our ship in the distance!

IMG_6084e

This is how Rio took it all in. : )  The boy innately knows how to relax and enjoy the moment.

DSC01481

Alas, after a few hours, it was time to be back on ship.

IMG_6091

St. Maarten is definitely a place I would like to visit again!  A small island with a local culture that is vibrant and not too consumed with tourism… besides the 18+ times that I was approached on the beach to buy everything from bags to clothes to magnetic jewelry.  I’d like to say that I didn’t buy anything from the street vendors, but as we headed back on to the water taxi we impulsively spent $6 on a cd with “Smash Hits” written in black Sharpie across the front. 

After a great day, I couldn’t leave such a beautiful place without taking one last photo.

IMG_6101e

Oh, and that cd?  It turned out to be an awesome reggae cd!  My one regret is not buying more! : (  After all, how was I supposed to know I should have trusted the guy who kept saying, “I treat you right” in his hypnotizing Jamaican accent?

1 comment:

grammie said...

so beautiful! And that Rio-- Such a high-power, high-energy guy. Keeping up with Ravyn is exhausting. I love the red chair cushions. I'm sad, too, that you didn't get more reggae. I know it is Jamie's favorite and he always shares with me......