
Today is Hina Matsuri (Doll's Festival) or Girl's Day here in Japan. It is a day set aside to pray for young girl's growth and happiness. As I've said before, I have the best students/friends and they are always so nice to share with me the traditional Japanese celebrations.
This morning, Hiroko and Kazumi, gave Ravyn several gifts to help her celebrate Hina Matsuri.
The dolls are called Hina Ningyo, which represent the Emperor and Empress wearing the traditional dress of the Heian period. It was once believed that the dolls possessed the power to contain evil spirits, but today it is more common to believe that it is auspicious if you leave them out longer than one week after the holiday.
It is also customary to drink amazake, a sweet, non-alcoholic version of sake made from fermented rice. I had bought a bottle, Hello Kitty themed, from the local grocery store, but was surprised by Hiroko with amazake made from rare black rice. The white amazake was served cold and the black was served hot. Ravyn loved both of them and I was barely able to try them myself. She actually drank them so fast, that I wasn't able to snap a picture!!
Along with amazake, the traditional Hina Matsuri meal is chirashizushi, a sushi rice topped with raw fish and a variety of other ingredients, and a soy sauce-based soup with whole clams symbolizing a united and peaceful couple. Ravyn and I have actually tried chirashizushi before and it wasn't a winner, so I picked up her favorite dinner, curry rice, from Coco Ichibanya.
And lastly, while were at swimming lessons, one of my other students, Kanako, dropped of some small cookies/crackers with the Hina Ningyo stamped on the front.
What a great day we had!!



No comments:
Post a Comment